Dr. Janet Lintala
I am the mother of three boys with a variety of issues such as Asperger syndrome, Tourette disorder, OCD, anxiety and ADHD. Our home has always been spontaneous and chaotic, and I jokingly live in fear of being given a ticket by the “Normal Police”!
I have searched for, collected and developed nonprescription strategies to support vibrant health on the autism spectrum. So nothing I do at my center or share in my book “fixes”, treats, cures or prevents ASD, but instead, seeks a person’s best life as who they truly are.
I have a B.S. in Genetics from Ohio State University, and graduated as a Doctor of Chiropractic, Salutatorian, summa cum laude, from The National University of Health Sciences, a postgraduate program near Chicago, IL.
I was never able to have a typical musculo-skeletal practice, and one month after graduation, began my 20+ year “residency” in autism with the birth of my son. I have devoted myself exclusively to having an autism practice, bringing the latest in research and therapies to support vibrant health for those on the spectrum. I do not offer chiropractic adjustments at my center, and am sad that this part of my career was lost to the years when I was unable to practice.
By law, I have to see someone in the state in which I am licensed (WV), before I can provide a consultation or support plan. However, once you have been seen in WV, I can do a Skype or telephone consultations thereafter.
April, 2018 update:
I am currently booked out into the first quarter of 2019, and cannot accept new patients until I’ve worked through this backlog. I have started a wait list, and will let everyone know when I am able to accept more new patients.
Over the years, I attended the Defeat Autism Now! clinician training multiple times, attended many autism training conferences, and completed two Mentorships at the RIMLAND Center under Dr. Elizabeth Mumper, M.D., the former Medical Director of The Autism Research Institute. I am happily attending the MAPS (Medical Academy of Pediatric Special Needs) conferences now.
20-Plus years: I have been in the autism world long enough to watch the understanding, language and politics of autism morph from mother warriors and searching for genes, cures and recovery, to the enlightened neurodiversity, acceptance and celebration. (See my AMACOM Books Guest Blog on that here.) Although I now wince at the old language, it was through those early pioneers and efforts at understanding and research all those years ago that we have better understanding and so many tools at our disposal now.
I am the head of Autism Health!, my center in Beckley, WV where I see patients from about 20 states.
- NCMIC Speakers Bureau
- Speaking presentations in Alaska, California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, Washington state, West Virginia, and Utah so far and counting!
- Intersect4Kids – The I4K “Dream Team” includes Dr. Elizabeth Mumper, MD, former Medical Director of the Autism Research Institute, Maureen McDonnell, RN, the former Medical Director of The Imus Cancer Ranch for Kids, and Dr. Monika Buerger, DC, founder of Intersect4Kids.
- Community Workshops – arranged for free in major cities where I am speaking at other venues.
- Homecoming speaker at National University of Health Sciences in 2013 and 2018.
- Featured Author – June 2015 General Federation of Women’s Club’s National/International Conference, Epsilon Sigma Omicron Annual Breakfast, Memphis Tennessee 2015
Boy Scouts of America:
- My husband and sons are passionate participants in the Boy Scouts (two Eagle Scouts and one more in the making!)
- Member of the Advisory Panel to the Boy Scouts of America National Disability Awareness Council.
- disAbilities Awareness Staff at the 2013 National Jamboree
- disAbilities Awareness Challenge displays at the 2017 National Jamboree
State Rehabilitation Council:
- 2014-2016 Appointed by the Governor of WV to the State Rehabilitation Council
- 2015 Elected Secretary to the State Rehabilitation Council
- 2016 Nominated for reappointment 2017-2020
- 2014 The Un-Prescription President of the Board
- 2016 University of Charleston Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Community Advisory Board
I sincerely hope that my long journey with autism can benefit your child in some way – come by and see us!
Angela Akers is the Community Liaison at Autism Health, and Executive Director and the Secretary of our non-profit, The Un-Prescription Foundation for Autism (also known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, lol) . Here’s a little about Angela in her own words:
“I worked before having children, but became a stay-at-home mom for 18 years after my daughter was born. Once my daughter graduated high school, I went to work at Autism Health as the office manager – I had no idea what a rewarding job this would turn out to be! I started out by just answering the phone, filing and scheduling patients. But within a few weeks I had the desire to learn more, and began reading books in the office library, watching webinars, and researching everything I could find on autism. Now, after working with patients for more than 10 years and continuing to train and learn every step of the way, I am the Executive Director of The Un-Prescription Foundation for Autism, bringing autism advocacy to a state and national level.